Smith Island Station Site
Also known as Smith's Island (1875-1891); Smith Island (1892-1950)
The Smith Island Station Site site was established in 1875
Station closed in 1950. 1875 station house washed to the ocean in the early 1900s. 1916 station house torn down after the station closed.
Station Site Notes:
1874 contract; 1875 erected; 1879 hurricane damage repaired; 1916 contract awarded for new buildings or extensive repairs, and for improving launching facilities; 1917 dwelling rebuilt; 1918 contract awarded for boathouse and footbridge (USLSS Annual Reports). Turned over to GSA in 1955 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.