South Portland Station Site
South Portland, ME
Also known as South Portland
The South Portland Station Site site was established in 1964?
Station still active. 1964? station house survives at this site.
Station Site Notes:
Land occupied by Coast Guard Group Portland was acquired in 1929 by the U.S. Light House Service for use as a depot. In the mid-1930s, construction of Building 1, 2, 3, and 4, the wharf and two piers had been completed. In 1942, a temporary wooden barracks building was added on the upper-facility grounds. A Navy Net Depot was established in December 1941 with a large enlisted barracks, warehouse and workshop across High Street from the facility. The Navy depot existed as a tenant command of the Base until 1946. In that year, the annex was transferred to the Coast Guard which used the buildings for several years until the U.S. Government declared them excess. The land and buildings were sold in July 1964. The wooden barracks building on facility was raised in 1963 and a new barracks and messing building (Building 6) was constructed in 1964 and a Boat Maintenance Facility (Building 7); finger pier and travel lift were added in 1982. When the U.S. Lighthouse Service merged with the Coast Guard in 1939 existing facilities were converted from a U.S. Lighthouse Service Buoy Depot and Headquarters to a Coast Guard base. In 1952, the Group Portland offices were moved to Cape Elizabeth Lifeboat Station and Base South Portland commenced operation as an independent District unit. In 1960, the Group offices were moved back to the Base as a tenant command. In 1966, a major Group reorganization throughout the First District established a Captain?s (O-6) billet at South Portland to perform a triple function as Commander, Group Portland, Commanding Officer, Base South Portland and COTP Portland. The Marine Inspection Office located in Portland?s Federal Building became Marine Safety Office in 1976. At that time, the MSO Commanding Officer assumed the responsibilities of COTP. The MSO offices were moved to the newly renovated U.S. Customs House in 1984 (Station Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1964? station house is surviving at this site