Spermaceti Cove Station Site
Middletown Township, NJ
Also known as Spermaceti Cove
The Spermaceti Cove Station Site site was established in 1848
Station closed between 1942 and 1944. In 1962 the US Army, which owned the property, leased the south portion of Sandy Hook to the State of New Jersey, who turned it into Sandy Hook State Park. In 1974 the National Park Service took over the state park area, which became the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. 1894 station house survives at this site and is the Spermaceti Cove Life-Saving Station, a museum. 1848 boathouse was moved from Sandy Hook during the mid-1950s by the Twin Lights Historical Society and placed behind the north tower of the Twin Lights where it is the Spermaceti Cove Lifesaving Station, a museum exhibit.
Station Site Notes:
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1894 station house; 1848 station house (moved to new site in Highlands) is surviving at this site