St. Clair Shores Station Site
St. Clair Shores, MI
Also known as St. Clair Shores
The St. Clair Shores Station Site site was established in 1954
Station still active. 1954 and 1964-1965 stations house do not survive, but 1990 station house survives.
Station Site Notes:
Station St. Clair Shores history begins in the mid 1800's when St. Clair Flats Lighthouse was built as a navigational beacon on Lake St. Clair. In 1954 the City of St. Clair Shores petitioned the Coast Guard for a rescue station. The city provided a small building located behind Blossom Heath park. The building was called a Search and Rescue Unit. It was manned by 4 people and was under the control of Station Belle Isle in Detroit. By 1990, Station St. Clair Flats was decommissioned and Station St. Clair Shores has served as the primary unit servicing Lake St. Clair (Station Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1990 station house is surviving at this site