Thunder Bay Island Station Site
Alpena Township, MI
Also known as Thunder Bay Island
The Thunder Bay Island Station Site site was established in 1876
Station closed in 1951. 1876 and 1930 station house do not survive.
Station Site Notes:
1874 site secured, plans and specs being prepared; 1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 ready for service; 1920 contract awarded for construction of lifeboat house; 1921 modern lifeboat houses with hoists constructed (USLSS Annual Reports). Discontinued in 1951 (USCG Historian's Website).