Station Site Notes:
1874 site secured, plans and specs being prepared; 1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 established and put into operation; 1880 annex for boat wagons added (USLSS Annual Reports). The US Life Saving Service came to Two Rivers in 1880 (?); in 1904 the city desired to make certain harbor improvements which would necessitate the dredging away of practically all of the site occupied by the life?saving station. In 1908 a new station was built and the old one abandoned; in 1941 a new station was built. The old station building was moved downtown and served as a VFW hall. During the Second World War the Two Rivers facility served as a Basic Training Camp. In the 1960s a Marine and a Boating Safety Office were attached to the station. The station underwent a $250,000 renovation, which included the enlargement of the boathouse to store the 41? Utility Boat (USCG Historian's Website). In 1944 the US government decided to build a new Coast Guard station and donated the old building to the VFW (VFW's Website).