Umpqua River Station Site
Winchester Bay, OR
Also known as Umpqua River
The Umpqua River Station Site site was established in 1939 (at this site, 1891 at original site)
Station closed in 1968 at this site and moved to a new location. 1939 station house survives and is a museum as part of Umpqua Lighthouse State Park.
Station Site Notes:
1890 under contract or construction; 1891 completed and put into operation (USLSS Annual Reports). Built in 1891; station was rebuilt in 1939 (USCG Historian's Website). In 1939 a new station was built near the Umpqua River Lighthouse with a boathouse and pier in Winchester Bay. The old station currently houses the Umpqua River Lighthouse museum operated. In 1964 the present station was constructed to modernize and consolidate operations at one site. In 1985 it was extensively remodeled, adding the unaccompanied personnel housing and a state of the art boat maintenance facility (Station Website). 1939 boathouse was destroyed in 1966 (David Pinyerd).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1939 station house is surviving at this site