Velasco Station Site
Also known as Velasco (1888-1937); Freeport (1938-present)
The Velasco Station Site site was established in 1888
Station closed in 1917 at this site and moved to a new location. 1888 station house destroyed by fire in 1963.
Station Site Notes:
1888 put into operation; 1914 site so badly damaged by flood that a change in location will be necessary; 1915 action deferred on moving location of buildings; 1916 site for new building selected and plans completed for station destroyed in a hurricane; 1917 station rebuilt on steel pilings elevated to clear high water during hurricanes to replace one destroyed in a hurricane (USLSS Annual Reports). In 1914 a severe storm completely destroyed the buildings and made an island of the site, thereby rendering the site useless for life?saving purposes. Station Freeport is a descendent of this station (USCG Historian's Website); 1963 original (1888) station burned; from June 1990 through May 1992, the new station was built on 7 acres adjacent to the old station for a cost of 4.1 million dollars. The old boathouse now serves as the meeting hall for the Village of Surfside (Station Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.