Wash Woods Station Site

North Swan Beach, NC

Also known as Deal's Island (1878-1882); Wash Woods (1883-1951)

The Wash Woods Station Site site was established in 1917 (at this site, 1878 at original site)


This is not an active site. It was active 1917-1954 or 1955


This site was closed (in) 1954 or 1955


This site was moved in NA. Active from 1878 to 1917 at original site. (See Station ID # 217.1)


Designation number: 166

Station closed in 1954 or 1955 at this site and abandoned. Station was used as a fishing camp and later as a hunting lodge. 1917 station house survives and is privately owned.

Station Site Notes:

1878 will soon be in operation (1882/1883?); 1885 additions and repairs; 1918 contract awarded for new dwelling; 1919 dwelling and outbuilding rebuilt (USLSS Annual Reports). Abandoned in 1951 (USCG Historian's Website). Decommissioned in 1954-'55. The building was used as a fishing camp and later as a hunting lodge (Fielding Tyler, Old Coast Guard Museum).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1919 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site