White River Station Site
Also known as White River
The White River Station Site site was established in 1887
Station closed in 1944. 1886 station house survives but has been moved to a new site nearby. It was incorporated into a larger house and significantly altered in the mid 2000s.
Station Site Notes:
1883 site selected; 1884 title secured, plans and specifications being prepared; 1885 being erected; 1886 being constructed; 1887 completed and put into service; 1916 contract awarded for new buildings or extensive repairs (USLSS Annual Reports). Coast Guard Station was officially opened on March 14, 1887 when the first Keeper was appointed. The first crew arrived on April 21, 1887. The land, which had been acquired by donation in 1914, was abandoned in March of 1946 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1886 station house (moved to a new site in Montague) is surviving at this site