Fort Point Station Site
San Francisco, CA
Also known as Fort Point
The Fort Point Station Site site was established in 1890
Station closed on March 23, 1990 and was replaced by Station Golden Gate. 1890 and 1915-1916 station houses survive and are part of Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Station Site Notes:
1889 in the process of construction; 1890 constructed and put into operation; 1906 improvements completed; 1915 contract made for rebuilding boathouse and crew's quarters; 1916 boathouse rebuilt (USLSS Annual Reports). Station built in 1889 (USCG Historian's Website). A need for expansion brought the U.S. Army, National Park Service, and U.S. Coast Guard to negations in June 1987 and a decision was reached to move the station to East Fort Baker in Marin County. In 1990 Station Fort Point was decommissioned and its lifeboats and crew moved across the Bay to the new Station Golden Gate (Station Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1890 and 1915-1916 station houses is surviving at this site