Milwaukee Station Site
Also known as Milwaukee
The Milwaukee Station Site site was established in 1876
Station closed in 1886 at this site and moved to a new location. Station house does not survive.
Station Site Notes:
1874 site secured, plans and specs being prepared; 1875 contract entered into, building rapidly progressing; 1876 established and put into operation; 1879 annex for boat wagons added (USLSS Annual Reports). The original station site was chosen by S. Kimball and J. Murryman on 10 October 1874 and the local site was accepted by J. Murryman and John Elliot on 24 June 1875. The conveyance was made 29 July 1875 by the City of Milwaukee for the price of $1.00. On 23 September 1875 Klaus, Schwartz and Company were contracted to build the station for a total cost of $2,095.00. It was accepted by the Service on 18 March 1876. The station was designated as No. 10 Milwaukee, later changed to Milwaukee on 12 April 1883. On 10 September 1879 C.P. Foote received a contract for repairs and alterations to the station for a cost of 1,285.00; Turned over to GSA in 1970 (USCG Historian's Website). Station last used by the Coast Guard in 1971 and then used by the American Indian Movement and the Indian Community School until 1980. It has been vacant since then. Sold by the Coast Guard to Milwaukee County in June 1987 (CG Station Designation Study Report, 2001).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.