Top Menu

Assateague Beach Station House (1875 (at 1st site))

Assateague Island, 
VA
Built: 1875 (at 1st site)
Building Still Survives: No
Open to the Public: Does Not Survive

Station closed in 1922 at this site and moved to another location. Station site turned over to GSA in 1965 and transferred to the Fish and Wildlife Service in 1966 as part of Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Station house does not survive. Station house was dismantled in 1950 and some of the lumber was used to build cottages on Piney Island in Chincoteague.

Location

Assateague Island, VA


Building Private Phone: NA

Visiting Information

Open to the Public: Does Not Survive

Access: NA

Building Information

Station Building ID:

184.1

Building Type:

Station House

Year Built:

1875 (at 1st site)

Built Before 1965:

Yes

Design Type:

1874

Designer:

Francis W. Chandler

Building Still Survives:

No

Condition:

NA

Integrity:

NA

Endangered:

Does Not Survive

Nature of Threat:

NA

On Original Site:

NA

Current Use:

Does Not Survive

Owner/Manager/Lessee & Contact Information

Owner

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge (Owner of Station Site)

8231 Beach Road

P.O. Box 62

Chincoteague Island, VA 23336

(757) 336-6122

fw5rw_cnwr@fws.gov

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/chincoteague/

Owner Code: USFWS