Bellingham Station Site
Also known as Bellingham
The Bellingham Station Site site was established in 1999 (at this site, 1977 at original site)
Station still active. 1999 station house survives.
Station Site Notes:
The Coast Guard has had a permanent presence in the Bellingham area since 1947. The first units in Bellingham were an 83-foot Coastal Patrol Boat with a crew of 14 and a 50-foot Harbor Patrol Boat with a crew of eight. In 1966 the patrol boats were replaced by the 65-foot Harbor Tug Bitt, which was later transferred to Valdez, Alaska. The first station was commissioned in 1977 with a crew of six. As mission definitions expanded and the number of personnel increased, new station facilities were built in 1986 and again in 1999. On November 20, 1986, a new station was built by the Port of Bellingham, and leased by the Coast Guard for nearly 13 years. On July 9, 1999 The "NEW and Present" Station building and boathouse was established with facilities located across the street from the previous unit, on Coast Guard owned property at the Port of Bellingham. Construction of our "New" 10,600 square foot station and 2,500 square foot covered boathouse began in June 1998 (Station Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1999 station house is surviving at this site