Brazos Station Site (Port Isabel since 1940)

South Padre Island, TX

Also known as Brazos Santiago (1879-1882); Brazos (1883-1939); Port Isabel (1940-1998); South Padre Island (1998-present)

The Brazos Station Site (Port Isabel since 1940) site was established in 1924 (at this site, 1880 at original site)


This site was closed (in) 1974 (at this site, still active at current [3rd] site)


This site was moved in 1974. Moved to new [3rd] site in 1974 but retained name. Active from 1879 to 1924 at original site. (See Station ID # 303.1 and 303.3)


This is an active site from 1924-1974


Designation number: 222

Station closed in 1974 at this site and moved to a new location. 1924 station house survives and was acquired in 1987 by the University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College. It is the UTB/TSC South Padre Island Center and houses marine biology laboratories.

Station Site Notes:

1879 in the process of erection; 1880 damaged in hurricane of August 11 and 12 1880, to be taken down and rebuilt; 1881 rebuilt by 9/30/1881; 1913 new station completed to take the place of one destroyed by hurricane of 10/16/1912 (USLSS Annual Reports). Sold to Brownsville Navigation District in 1958; Station Port Isabel is a descendent of this station (USCG Historian's Website); Station South Padre Island has had a life saving presence along the Gulf of Mexico for the last 83 years (since 1917?).?A lifesaving station was established on Boca Chica beach in 1918.?A hurricane destroyed the station on Boca Chica beach before 1924. In 1924 the lifesaving station was moved to the southern end of South Padre Island to a building that was used for 50 years. The current station was constructed in 1974 which now houses the main office spaces and duty crew berthing. Though the old building is still standing, it is now used as an annex for the University of Texas-Brownsville/Texas Southmost College. In 1998 Station Port Isabel was renamed to Station South Padre Island reflecting the island name and the actual geographic location of the station (Station Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1924 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site