Cape Cod Canal Station Site

Sandwich, MA

Also known as Cape Cod Canal

The Cape Cod Canal Station Site site was established in 1936


This site was closed (in) Still active


This is an active site from 1936-present


This is the original site location


Designation number: 32

Station still active. 1936 station house survives at this site.

Station Site Notes:

In 1917 an auxiliary boathouse for the Manomet LSS was established at the eastern entrance to the Cape Cod Canal. During the 1920s, a 36 ft motor lifeboat was stationed there since Manomet did not have a launchway sufficient for a boat of this size (Tim Dring). When the Canal was widened in the mid 1930s, the land on which the boathouse sat was dredged, and a new station site (the present one) was established in a new location on the Canal. The present station was built in 1936 and the first commanding officer was commissioned and appointed on August 10, 1936. In 1993 the station under went a 1.5 million-dollar rehab (Station Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1936 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site