Cape May Station Site
Cape May City, NJ
Also known as Cape May (1848-1916); Cape May Point (1923-1948). There were two stations named Cape May between 1878 and 1882.
The Cape May Station Site site was established in 1849
Station closed in 1948? at this site and moved to a new location. Site and buildings washed into the ocean in the early 1960s. Site underwater.
Station Site Notes:
1876 constructed on the Centennial grounds in Philadelphia and about to be moved to Cape May; 1877 transferred to Cape May; 1896 old and inadequate station replaced; 1897 old inadequate stations rebuilt; 1920 riprap stone protection constructed (USLSS Annual Reports). A Life Saving Station was opened at Cape May Point in 1849. In 1866 a new site was acquired. In 1876 a station was built and exhibited at the Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At the conclusion of the exposition the station was moved to Cape May and placed upon the Lighthouse Reservation (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.