Grays Harbor Station Site
Grays Harbor, WA
Also known as Petersons Point (1897-1902); Grays Harbor (1903-present)
The Grays Harbor Station Site site was established in 1897
Station closed in 1972 at this site and moved to a new location. 1940 station house survives and is the Westport Maritime Museum. 1897 station house was destroyed by a storm in December 2007.
Station Site Notes:
1895 title secured and plans and specifications in the course of preparation; 1896 proposals for construction will soon be invited; 1897 contracts for new station made, will probably be completed during present fiscal year; 1898 new station completed but not put into commission, some delay in the equipment; 1899 placed in commission; 1905 improvements made (USLSS Annual Reports). Station built in 1897; The first station in Grays Harbor area was established in the mid-1980s by the U.S. Lifesaving Service. This was the North Cove station located 10 miles south of Westport; in 1898 the lifesaving service moved the faculties to Peterson Point making the station Peterson Point Station 1/8 mile south of Westport; in 1902 the station was again renamed Grays Harbor Station; in 1939 the last station established moved from Ocean Avenue by the Coast Guard moved to the center of Westhaven Drive and is now the property of the Port of Grays Harbor; in 1984 the Westport-South Beach Historical Society was formed the station was turned over to its members for use as a maritime museum; in 1985 Grays Harbor Station changed into a maritime museum (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1940 station house is surviving at this site