Hatteras Inlet Station Site

Frisco, NC

Also known as Ocracoke (1882-1902); Hatteras Inlet (1903-present)

The Hatteras Inlet Station Site site was established in 1917 (at this site, 1882 at original site)


This site was closed (in) Early 1950s (at this site, still active at current [4th] site)


This site was moved in 1963. Moved to new [3rd] site in the early 1950s but retained name. Active from 1882 to 1917 at original site. (See Station ID # 237.1 and 237.3)


This is an active site from Early 1950s-1963


Designation number: 186

Station closed in the early 1950s at this site and moved to a new location. 1917 station house and all other buildings washed into the ocean in the mid 1950s.

Station Site Notes:

1878 will soon be in operation (1882/1883?); 1885 additions and repairs (USLSS Annual Reports). Station Built: Original in 1883; second station built in 1917; Transferred to the National Park Service in 1957; The 1917 station washed away by sea encroachment in the 1950s.?The current Coast Guard Station Hatteras Inlet was constructed in 1962; Station Hatteras Inlet maintains administrative and operational control of the subordinate unit Station Ocracoke (small) located on Ocracoke Island (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

There are no surviving station houses at this site.

View Buildings at this Station Site