Port Austin Station Site

Port Austin Township, MI

Also known as Port Austin (1878-1882); Grindstone City (1883-1902); Port Austin (1903-1938)

The Port Austin Station Site site was established in 1881


This is not an active site. It was active 1881-1897


This site was closed (in) 1897 (at this site, 1921 at current [2nd] site)


This is the original site location


Designation number: NA

Station closed in 1897 at this site and moved to a new location. Station house moved to new site. No station buildings survive at this site.

Station Site Notes:

1878 work to start spring 1879; 1879 title secured; 1881 completed; 1914 boathouse and pier destroyed by storm (USLSS Annual Reports). Discontinued in 1939 (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

There are no surviving station houses at this site.

View Buildings at this Station Site