Sabine Pass Station Site (Sabine since 1936)

Sabine Pass (Port Arthur), TX

Also known as Sabine Pass (1879-1935); Sabine (1936-present)

The Sabine Pass Station Site (Sabine since 1936) site was established in 1904 (at this site, 1879 at original site)


This site was closed (in) 1954 (still active and current [3rd] site)


This site was moved in 1954. Moved to new [3rd] site in 1954 but retained name. Active from 1879 to 1904 at original site. (See Station ID # 295.1 and 295.3)


This is an active site from 1904-1954


Designation number: 216

Station closed in 1954 at this site and moved to a new location. Fate of station house unknown but it survived until at least the early 1908s.

Station Site Notes:

1879 in the process of erection; 1880 manned and in operation; 1902 new station in a new location in advanced state of construction; 1903 wharf completed and building of new station well underway; 1904 new station completed; 1905 improvements made (USLSS Annual Reports). Station built in 1879; Turned over to GSA in 1955; The structure known as the Old Lifeboat Station was built across from the lighthouse on the Texas side of the pass and was in operation by 1879. The station was destroyed by fire in 1904 but a new station was built in its place; The station was abandoned by the Coast Guard in 1954.?A new station was established at the former Quarantine Station, about 0.75 miles from Old Sabine (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

It is unknown if there are surviving station houses at this site.

View Buildings at this Station Site