Cobb Island Station Site
Cape Charles, VA
Also known as Cobb's Island (1875-1894); Cobb Island (1895-1964)
The Cobb Island Station Site site was established in 1875
Station closed on March 3, 1964. 1875 station house was destroyed by fire in 1879. 1880 station house survived as of 1988 but was in ruins. 1938 station house and boathouse were moved to Oyster, VA and renovated in 1999 by the Nature Conservancy. Purchased in 2007 by the World Healing Institute.
Station Site Notes:
1874 contract; 1875 erected; 1880 destroyed by fire 8/ 27/1879, keeper's private house to serve as temporary station; 1880 new station near completion; 1881 completed early winter 1880/1881; 1912 repairs to old boathouse and launchway begun; 1913 extensive improvements completed (USLSS Annual Reports); Turned over to GSA in 1955 and was transferred to the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1957. A new site was obtained in 1896 due to the eroding away of the original site. Another site was acquired in 1900 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1880 station house (in ruins), 1938 station house (moved to Oyster, VA in 1988) is surviving at this site