Evanston Station Site
Also known as Grosse Point (1877-1882); Evanston (1883-1931)
The Evanston Station Site site was established in 1877
Station closed on 8 June 1931 and was replaced by Station Wilmette Harbor. Station house was heavily damaged by a storm in March 1929 and was closed two years later. Station house was turned over to Northwestern University for use as offices and classrooms until 1954 when it was torn down.
Station Site Notes:
1874 site secured, plans and specs being prepared; 1876 to be completed by May 1 1876; 1877 completed and put into operation; 1904 repairs and improvements; 1905 improvements made (USLSS Annual Reports). The station was put into operation on 12 August 1877; a boat house was built and completed in 1876 and was known as the University Station #12. The keeper of the station was then the only paid position, as the crew consisted solely of volunteers recruited from Northwestern University. In January 1915, with the creation of the Coast Guard, the use of volunteer crews at Evanston was discontinued in favor of utilizing full-time, paid, crews, effective on 1 August 1915. The station buildings were heavily damaged in a violent storm in March, 1929 and Evanston Lifeboat Station was permanently closed on 8 June 1931. The Wilmette Harbor Lifeboat Station opened that same day. The buildings and the land were returned to Northwestern University (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.