Fort Macon Station Site
Atlantic Beach, NC
Also known as Fort Macon
The Fort Macon Station Site site was established in 1904
Station still active. 1965 station house survives.
Station Site Notes:
1903 site selected and plans and specifications being prepared; 1904 new station established (USLSS Annual Reports). Discontinued in 1963 and reestablished as a Coast Guard Group office; in 1938 many improvements were made to the station with construction of a larger main building with watch tower, a boathouse with attached marine railway, equipment building and other associated utilities. Of these, the boathouse (less railway) and the equipment building (Fort Macon Aids to Navigation Team Building) are still in service; The Lifesaving Station and the Base were combined organizationally into a Station in 1963, then changed back to a Base in 1965, and finally the formation of a Group Office was attached to the Base to coordinate other local North Carolina units. The old station house and main building were replaced by the current 7O?man barracks in 1965 and these structures were removed (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1965 station house is surviving at this site