Frankfort Station Site

Elberta, MI

Also known as Frankfort

The Frankfort Station Site site was established in 1886


This site was closed (in) 1937 (at this site, still active at current [2nd] site)


This is an active site from 1886-1937


This is the original site location


Designation number: 277 (263)

Station closed in 1937 at this site and moved to another location. 1886 station house was used as the Marine Terminal for the Ann Arbor Railroad until 1985. In 2000 it was purchased by the Village of Elberta which began restoring it as a community center.

Station Site Notes:

1883 site selected; 1884 title secured, plans and specifications being prepared; 1885 being erected; 1886 being constructed; 1887 completed and put into service (USLSS Annual Reports). Transferred to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; in 1929 it was proposed locating the station on the north side of the harbor entrance. The new site was conveyed by deed dated January 25, 1929 from the Ann Arbor Railroad Company. The old site was used on a lease basis until sufficient funds for buildings on the new site became available. On March 31, 1934, the Railroad conveyed a site containing 2.7 acres in exchange for the site chosen in 1929; new, smaller stations will be built in Manistee, Ludington and Frankfort. The stations are scheduled to open in January or February of 2003 (USCG Historian's Website).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1886 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site