Jackson Park Station Site
Also known as Chicago (1893-1902); Jackson Park (1903-1963)
The Jackson Park Station Site site was established in 1908 (at this site 1893, at original site)
Station closed on July 1, 1963 at this site. 1908 station house survives and is the Marina Cafe restaurant.
Station Site Notes:
1892 being constructed to take the place of the Old Chicago Station; 1907 new station being constructed in new location (USLSS Annual Reports). Station Built 1892; station was originally located on south side entrance to Chicago River, at north end of main inner breakwater, about 7 miles south by east of Chicago River Light, Lake Michigan. A new location was acquired in 1904.; Coast Guard Lifeboat Station Jackson Park in Chicago, Illinois was established in 1890. On January 20, 1904 and ordinance was passed by the South Park Commissioners to erect a new station at a different site. That new station was operational in 1905. The station was disestablished on July 1, 1963. The property was disposed of in March 1964 by a Quitclaim Deed to the Chicago Park District (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1908 station house is surviving at this site