Louisville Station Site
Also known as Louisville
The Louisville Station Site site was established in 1881
Station closed in 1936 at this site and moved to a new location. 1881 and 1903 floating station houses do not survive.
Station Site Notes:
1881 established and put into operation; 1903 new station completed (USLSS Annual Reports). The station was located just above the falls of the Ohio River and was the only permanently located floating lifeboat station in the world. It was put into operation on 3 November 1881 and remained in use until November 1902, when it was replaced by another station which served until 1928. Then a steel hull station was placed into commission on April 20, 1929; Louisville Lifeboat Station operated until 1972 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
The None at this site. 1928 floating station moved to the Foot of Fourth Street in Louisville. is surviving at this site