Maddaket Station Site
Also known as Great Neck (1891-1902); Maddequet (1903-1910); Maddaket (1911-1947)
The Maddaket Station Site site was established in 1890
Station closed in 1947 and consolidated with the Brant Point Light Station. Turned over to GSA in 1956 and conveyed to the Town of Nantucket for a public park in 1970. 1891 boathouse survives but was moved off site to become the Maddaket Firehouse in 1970 and restored(?) in 2004. Late 1930s Equipment Building was moved to Brant Point Station in 1947. Station house torn down ca. 1962.
Station Site Notes:
1890 under contract or construction; 1891 completed and put into operation (USLSS Annual Reports). First keeper appointed 2/11/1891; station listed as active in 1945; in 1947 consolidated with Brant Point Light station and the name disappears from the records in April 1947. Property turned over to GSA in 1956, and in 1970 conveyed to the town of Nantucket for a public park; decommissioned 1/1/1947 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.