Portage Station Site

Hancock (Calumet Township), MI

Also known as Ship Canal (1881-1902); Portage (1903-[1988-1992]); Hancock ([1989-1993-2004); Portage (2004-present)

The Portage Station Site site was established in 1902 (at this site, 1884 at original site)


This site was closed (in) Between 1988 and 1992


This site was moved in Between 1988 and 1992. Moved to new [3rd] site between 1988 and 1992 but retained name. Active from 1884 to 1902 at original site. (See Station ID # 352.1 and 352.3)


This is an active site from 1902 to between 1988 and 1992


Designation number: 264 (300)

Station closed between 1988 and 1992 at this site and moved to a new location. 1902 station house survives but is not used.

Station Site Notes:

1881 proposals but no bids; 1884 under construction; 1885 put into operation; 1903 new station completed (USLSS Annual Reports).

Buildings at this Station Site

The 1902 station house is surviving at this site

View Buildings at this Station Site