Santa Rosa Station Site
Pensacola Beach, FL
Also known as Santa Rosa
The Santa Rosa Station Site site was established in 1908 (at this site, 1885 at original site)
Station closed in 1986 at this site and was replaced by Station Pensacola. 1907 station house survives and is a ranger station and campground registration office for Fort Pickens Campground at Gulf Islands National Seashore.
Station Site Notes:
1884 proposals invited; 1885 completed and receiving equipment; 1886 put into operation; 1907 station destroyed by hurricane of September 27, 1906. New station being constructed at a new site; 1908 rebuilding of old station completed and manned; 1917 contract awarded for new wharf and boathouse (USLSS Annual Reports). In 1906 the station was swept away and was then rebuilt (USCG Historian's Website). The Coast Guard relocated most operations after Hurricane Frederick in 1979 but they reoccupied the 1906 station and maintained it until 1986 when it was deactivated and transferred to the National Park Service. It became the campground registration office and offices for the law enforcement rangers at Fort Pickens shortly thereafter (Gulf Islands National Seashore Staff).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1907 station house is surviving at this site