Willapa Bay Station Site
Also known as Shoalwater Bay (1876-1902); Willapa Bay (1903-1977)
The Willapa Bay Station Site site was established in 1957 (at this site, 1877 at original site)
Station closed in 1977 at this site. 1957 station house survives and is privately owned.
Station Site Notes:
1886 keeper's dwelling erected; 1918 contract awarded for bulkhead protection (USLSS Annual Reports). Station built in 1887; first keeper appointed 11/1877; station occupied a portion of the Lighthouse reservation under a permit dated 10 July 1884. Prior to this apparently station while occupying the same site had no permit to do so. Name changed to Willapa Bay (USCG Historian's Website). Erosion in the North Cove area eventually destroyed the North Cove Station in the mid-20th Century, necessitating a move to nearby Tokeland. Some structures from the Tokeland Station exist today, although its staff was consolidated with Grays Harbor Station in Westport during the 1960s.?
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1957 station house is surviving at this site