Great Egg (Longport, NJ) Station Site
Also known as Great Egg (Longport, NJ). Great Egg Station in Longport, NJ (which active from 1888 to 1947) was not the same station as Great Egg Station in Ocean City, NJ (which was renamed Great Egg in 1964).
The Great Egg (Longport, NJ) Station Site site was established in 1888 (at this site, 1849 at original site)
Station closed in 1947 at this site and abandoned in 1948. 1939 station house survives at this site and is a museum and headquarters for the Longport Historical Society and Museum.
Station Site Notes:
1872 will be completed by December 1st; 1878 repaired; 1888 rebuilding; 1889 station completed (USLSS Annual Reports). Station closed in 1947 and was abandoned in 1948 and sold to the Borough of Longport, for use as its municipal hall. In 1990, the borough moved their facilities into the newly remodeled Betty Bacharach building immediately to the north. In 1994, the borough leased the building to the Longport Historical Society and Museum (Great Egg CG Station National Register Nomination).
Buildings at this Station Site
The 1939 station house is surviving at this site