Great Wass Island Station Site
Also known as Great Wass Island
The Great Wass Island Station Site site was established in 1904
Station closed in 1946 and replaced by Moose Peak Station. Station house does not survive, but boathouse does and is privately owned.
Station Site Notes:
1903 contract entered into for rebuilding old station at Crumple Island to be located on Great Wass Island; 1904 new station completed (USLSS Annual Reports). The Work Relief and Public Works Appropriation Act of 1938 provided $53,550 for a new site, dwelling and equipment building - $38,000 for new boats and equipment, $41,972 for a new boathouse and launchway, and $33,060 for new telephone submarine cables; disappeared from listings in 1947; 1951 turned over to GSA (USCG Historian's Website).