Hither Plain Station Site
East Hampton, NY
Also known as Hither Plain
The Hither Plain Station Site site was established in 1871
Station closed in 1934. Site used as an unpaved overlook off of Old Montauk Highway, and an unofficial beach parking area. No station buildings survive at this site.
Station Site Notes:
1872 completed and with apparatus; 1878 repaired; 1886 contracts entered for repairs and enlargements; 1887 repairs made to boathouse; 1935-1941 listed as active but without a keeper and crew (USLSS Annual Reports). 1922 station is listed as "discontinued as an active unit." Station is back as an active unit in 1925 but a keeper was not assigned until 1928; site abandoned in 1948 (USCG Historian's Website).
Buildings at this Station Site
There are no surviving station houses at this site.